Positive Behaviour Support (PBS) uses preventative, teaching and reinforcement-based strategies to achieve meaningful and durable behaviour outcomes.
PBS is an evidence-based approach for supporting all students, such as through the department's
School-wide positive behaviour support program, as well as for individual students.
PBS support for individual students:
- concentrates primarily on preventing the occurrence of an identified behaviour by avoiding or adapting the circumstances that usually trigger this behaviour
- focuses on building skills to use or developing alternative preferred behaviours
- considers the motivation for or functions of behaviours
- values the student and their attempts at positive interaction
- uses the students strengths and interests to increase success
- increases an individuals quality of life by supporting increased access and engagement.