Evaluating the effectiveness of the transition program is an important element of the transition process. This step is both necessary and valuable.
Evaluate the transition process
It is important to evaluate how the transition process is:
- identifying student, family or school issues to be addressed or managed at the moment
- planning for changes for future transitions for the student, such as moving from Prep to Year 1 and beyond
- supporting the student to manage a change in school, class or teacher in the future
- developing routines and procedures that may be useful for families and students and support ECEC and Prep educators in future transitions to Prep
- reflecting on skill development of all team members.
A 'Review of the transition program' template has been provided in the Transition booklet which may be used to document and collate review information by team members.
Suggestions for efficient methods of evaluating the transition program:
- individual transition team members completing the review table to be collated by one person, such as the case manager
- collaborative discussions so that information may be collated and ultimately acted on
- responsibilities for follow up or actions allocated to individuals during collaborative review meetings
- the development of transition materials useful for supporting future transitions.