What is it?
Technology-aided instruction and intervention (TAII) refers to interventions in which technology is the main feature of an intervention. TAII can include specialised communication devices and software for communication. Students with complex communication difficulties may benefit from the use of specialised technology-based communication devices (sometimes known as Speech Generating Devices or SGDs).
TAII also includes learning that occurs on computers and devices such as iPads and other tablets. Technology-aided instruction has been used to increase independence, vocational, academic and social skills. It can also be used as a way of providing prompts, scripts, visual schedules, modelling and task selection. A student may respond more positively to working on a device/computer than to non-technology based approaches.
How do I use it?
Speech generating devices
A speech pathologist can ensure selection of the correct speech generating device (e.g., tablets, smart phones) that will best meet the student's needs. They can also teach the student how to use the device. Teachers can help support the student by providing opportunities for communication, prompting, modelling and reinforcing communication attempts.
- Decide how technology will aid task learning and what the student can do using technology that they can't do otherwise.
- Select the software appropriate to the task and the technology platform to be used e.g. computer, iPad. Look at learning app guides and ask colleagues what they find useful and why.
- Develop clear goals in relation to the technology. The goal should include what the student will achieve and what changes you expect to make using the tool.
- Take measurements of the behaviour or skill being targeted before and after using TAII to assess its effectiveness.
All ages, with different styles used as the student moves through school.
Where can I learn more?
- Autism Internet Modules provide a way of learning online. The modules are free. You do need to set up an account to access the modules. Speech Generating Devices is one of the intervention strategies available as a module.
- Technology-Aided Interventions and Instruction for Adolescents with Autism Spectrum Disorder
Odom, S. L., Thompson, J. L., Hedges, S., Boyd, B. A., Dykstra, J. R., Duda, M. A., Bord, A. (2015). Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 45(12), 3805-3819. doi:10.1007/s10803-014-2320-6.